Friday, October 23, 2009

Climbing Your Family Tree

Tim’s tips for researching genealogy
Almost inevitably as fall arrives, my preparations for the upcoming holidays prompt me to reflect on family traditions and wonderful holiday memories. Recalling all the laughter, delicious meals and so much more fueled a desire to learn more about my family and its history. What started out as a whim has turned into a fun pastime of gathering family history.
If you’re like me, you’ve probably always wondered where your family came from, who your ancestors were, what they did and so on. Unlike years ago, when researching family trees meant spending long hours pouring through county records or sneezing your way through dusty old library tomes, a majority of research can be done on the Internet.
A quick Google search reveals a multitude of genealogy search sites but there are several programs I’ve found useful. Family Tree Maker, Legacy and Personal Ancestral File (free from
http://www.familysearch.org/) have helped me gather and organize my collection of names and records. Family Tree and Legacy deluxe are available for a minimal cost (under $40) while PAF is free, along with Legacy standard. There are other free sites that help you get started, including The US GenWeb Project, http://www.usgenweb.org/. There you’ll find tips on searching census records, finding maiden names, understanding the difference between a primary and secondary resource and more. The site also lists old occupations and today’s translations.

Here’s a fun example:

• Accomptant -- Accountant

• Almoner -- Giver of charity to the needy

• Amanuensis -- Secretary or stenographer

• Bluestocking -- Female writer

• Brazier -- One who works with brass

• Brewster -- Beer manufacturer

• Brightsmith -- Metal Worker

• Burgonmaster -- Mayor

By researching my genealogy I’ve been able to trace my father’s side back to 1672 and discovered that a related family with six sons was among the first settlers of Nova Scotia, Canada. For me, it’s very rewarding when I can link back to history and make a personal connection.
So what are you waiting for? Start climbing your own family tree – who knows what discoveries you’ll make!

Do you have any Geneology stories you'd like to share?

Feel free to email Tim at online@allgoodpestsolutions.com, post a comment here on the blog or Connect with us on Facebook

1 comment:

Allgood Pest Solutions said...

My story happened on the internet. Back in 2000 I was looking on the Thomas County GA message boards for clues to my father's family when I came upon another person looking for the same thing. The thrill started building as I read the list of people they were looking for and saw the names of my father and his brothers and sisters. I answered their message immediately and by the next day I had met two granddaughters of my favorite uncle. We have stayed in touch ever since, sharing our genealogy and our everyday lives and I was fortunate enough to meet one of them in person at a Gray reunion in 2006. I highly recommend the county and surname message boards for your research. Thank you for letting us share our stories.___Jim Gray